Friday, July 2, 2010

The Growth Mindset in Educators

Today I want to ask if you believe in your colleagues. It's easy to read Mindset by Dr. Carol Dweck and decide that YOU can grow and change and learn, but do you also apply that to others? It is also easy to realize that children can grow and change and learn, but do you believe that of the adults with which you work?


There are so many qualities that make great leaders, but an important quality of a great leader and coach is a belief in all people to grow. As the educators around me have taken Dr. Dweck's research to heart and used it for their personal growth, I have noticed a small group of people who really only apply it to themselves. To be truly growth-minded, we have to apply the growth mindset even to those we believe in the least. Maybe ESPECIALLY to those who we believe in the least. Otherwise, what's it all for? It's just a way to define the better people from the "fixed" ones. That is the exact opposite of what Dweck's work is about.

If we approach everyone from the growth mindset - that all can learn, improve with practice and effort, and grow capacity, then our organizations will grow. Behavior is contagious. Approach someone who doesn't normally produce as if s/he IS a producer, and s/he will likely surprise you. Make it cool to achieve. Celebrate the successes of those who have tried (even if they failed at some part of their project). If people fail to achieve, there is likely a reason. Find the reason and see if you can't clear their path for them.

I am a runner. A jogger really, but without the coaching of good friends who tell me I can run faster and better, with effort, I would still be a walker who runs a bit in between. My colleagues easily coax and encourage me to run faster and longer and more often. They hold me accountable to my runs and ask about my miles. When I fail, they tell me it's OK and ask what I learned. They give me tips and encourage me to go on. Then they follow up with me a week later.

What a great model for educators. Isn't a school year so much like a marathon anyway?

Cheers all and encourage your co-workers. Believe in them the way you want others to believe in you.

No comments:

Post a Comment